Saturday, December 20, 2008

Home Update... Human downgrade.


As many of you may know Home had an interesting update for users on Thursday (12/18). The good news is that they expanded the facial hair category offering up a bevy of beards! The bad news (or good depending on your experience) is that the voice chat has been indefinitely removed presumably because of the more colorful language used by some of its users. I think this points to a bigger problem with these online gaming communities/experiences... the lack of respect. More after the jump.

I´ve seen this in almost every form of online interaction (involving my game console) that I´ve had. Just play a little Halo and Im willing to bet you´ll hear a whole lot of the ¨n¨ word among other racial slurs. When I first tried out the online play for Soul Caliber, I was matched up against a bright young fellow with the creative gamertag ¨SniperAddict666.¨ I whooped his monkey ass, which prompted him to send me a message in which he referred to me as a ¨dirty cheatin´ jew wetback n*****.¨ I was surprised at how I reacted to this. Mainly because I wasn't offended, rather disappointed. Maybe I´m reading to much into this, but I just don´t like where this mentality is headed. ¨Since you cant actually get to me, I can say whatever I want w/o consequence.¨And No, I don´t consider getting banned as a proper form of punishment because it doesnt change the fact that these gamers lack respect. What say you?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was once called a "spic nigger" after getting some serious ownage on Construct in Halo3. At first I thought it was funny because I enjoy getting a negative reaction out of frustration from peeps because it lets me know I did my job. For whatever reason, that turns my crank. Ultimately when people use slurs and nasty language because they cannot handle losing, a lot more is said about their own character. Although it is disappointing to see the general lack of respect people show for each other when they feel they will have no consequence, the chat function should not be disabled indefinitely because of a few hate mongers with no class. Has Sony heard of a mute function? I blame the parents of these degenerates! Hate breeds hate.

Unknown said...

I can't agree with you guys more. It really is disappointing hearing such slurs. If I get owned in a game and the person makes fun of me. I usually laugh, if it's clever. On the other hand, slurs can be quite annoying. It's one of the main reasons that I don't play Halo anymore. That and the fact that Fallout rocks my balls.

On another note, I'd like to point out that you called him a "monkey ass" which some may deem inappropriate as well. Oh, and I edited your mistakes... booyah Pwned!

Post a Comment